Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Story of Jeune Gal

Welcome to my blog! I'm Jeune Gal from California, I'm seventeen, and I have a rare genetic disorder called Jeune syndrome.  I am creating this blog to share my story and connect with other people who have the disorder. Let me tell you a little bit about myself.

When I was two, I was diagnosed with a genetic disorder called asphyxiating thoracic dystrophy, or Jeune syndrome, which is a rare genetic disorder that causes short stature, short arms and legs, a small chest cavity, and can cause kidney problems. When I was three, I had open heart surgery due to a mitral valve insufficiency that was unrelated to Jeune syndrome. Then when I was ten I had spinal fusion surgery because of scoliosis, which the doctors also said was not associated with the disorder. In 2009, when I was thirteen, I went on dialysis due to rapid kidney failure that was directly caused by Jeune syndrome. Fortunately, I was not on dialysis for too long because my aunt donated her kidney to me. I had the transplant at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital, and I am so grateful for the wonderful doctors there, and extremely grateful for my wonderful aunt.

When I was diagnosed with Jeune syndrome, my mom and dad were told by the doctors that most kids die at a young age from complications of pneumonia due to a small chest cavity. Because of this information, my mom didn't know how long I would live. Today I am seventeen years old and living a normal life, with only one exception: having a short stature of 4'6".


I am writing this blog in hopes of finding other young adults with the disorder to connect with and share our stories, but I am also writing this blog to put forth a message from the experiential lessons I have learned through my journey. I have learned to be respectful and conscious of how I treat other humans due to encounters in everyday life with people that aren't sure how to respond to a very small girl who is getting gas at the gas station.

Thank you for reading my first blog post, and I hope that you continue to read my future posts. Most importantly, please comment or email me at jeunegal1@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you and connect with other people who have Jeune syndrome.

7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read your future posts and hear your perspectives and wisdom on experiences you've had. Keep on writing, Jeune Gal, and welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey, I'm so excited about your blog! You are wise beyond your years and have so much to offer. I really hope this is a way for you to connect with people with Jeune Syndrome. Wouldn't that be so cool?! Good luck and have fun with it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! I hope so too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow another jeunes lady keep writing and I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog from your Facebook post! So thrilled to have met you and to have had you reach out to me because of Will. Can't wait to read more of your posts!!!! :) Thanks for sharing. I can't wait until Will is older and I can show him your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! We will definitely stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete